Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fort Lewis College Athletics

I lived in Durango, Colorado from 1995 until 2004. I bought my first camera when I lived there, and earned my college degree at Fort Lewis College. My first paid photography gig was self -assigned: I bought a Nikon Coolpix 990 and an HP Photosmart P1000 and a 9-volt converter to plug the printer in to the cigarette lighter in my pickup and my girlfriend and I sold 8x10 inkjet prints at a mountain bike race in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. I grossed over $600 that day, which was pretty awesome.

Long story short: I had a new job that I would stick with for at least 10 years.

One of my favorite subjects over the years has been Fort Lewis College athletics. I have photographed the RMAC champion men's soccer team and the national champion cycling team. I photographed Tom Danielson when he was just a really fast local mountain bike racer. I saw a fellow student sink a game-winning 3 pointer from "downtown" - where I was way too close to him to possibly get a shot. When that ball went in I had about the same view on it as him.

The photos after the link are highlights from those years. Enjoy!


Fort Lewis Football on a muddy day in Golden, Colorado in 2006.




No comments: